Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Appreciation


“Once a close friend is lost, there will never be a day happier than the countless days when she/he is still around”



Sometimes, you just want so badly to help the closest people around you so that they could be happy. However, when there are times, you really need them to show a little appreciation by helping you out, all you have face is disappointment and unappreciated. I’m not pointing fingers here in my blog, and I wouldn’t want to say that this entry of mine is directed to anyone in particular.

Appreciation is just a word that had never been manifested in the minds of people. No matter how hard you try to appreciate what people has done for you, and when its not at all perfect, we’ll just grumble, sulk and complain about his doing. Why can’t we just show a little appreciation? When the time comes, a person need your help so badly, you’ll, hopefully, try your very best to perfect what he wants. Again, in return, there wasn’t much appreciation shown.

I am born in a family where appreciation speaks louder than any ethical word you can find in the dictionary. My dad always thought me that when a person gives you something, show your gratitude by helping the person when he or she needs you one day. Proud to say that, I did learn from my dad and I try my very best to help a person when he or she is in trouble. However, besides of the gratitude I should show to the person I help, my dad also thought me that never ask anything back from the person whom lend you a helping hand. If you really do need help, make sure you show some respect and gratitude to the person who helps you. Fair enough, when I expect someone to show some appreciation, I’m sure they would want my appreciation in return. However, it is rather easier said than done.

Think about it, how many of us actually showed true appreciation when someone has done something for us? It’s more like, throughout the process, we learn to use them in any way we can. For example, a use-to-be good friend of mine (my neighbour) who I use to hang out with does not know what I’ve done for her all throughout the years of our friendship. I remember the day when I’ve got my driving license and it was also the right time for her to take me for granted. There was once, she came to my house to ask me whether we could go out together since she wanted to test my driving skills. Me, I didn’t know what her true intentions were, so I just decided on the spot to take her for a drive. So we went all the way to Jusco, and when we were in Jusco, everything started making sense to me. The reason why she wants me to drive her around was so that she could meet up with some friends in Jusco’s arcade, and besides of introducing her friends to me, she ditched me and said ‘thanks for the ride. Is it okay if you wait till I want to go home?’ Can you beat that? Oh as if I’m the “divine” angel sent from heaven to be her messenger for every situation, I just got so mad and went off in my car. Ah well, if you ever think she learnt a lesson, think again. She came back the very next day to try persuading me to fetch her to tuition class. I just told her to forget about it! Oh, want to know what’s the worst thing? She asked my mom for favours, yep, and that is to fetch her around. Honestly, among all my friends, she’s the one with guts.

I would not stand at a podium to announce my innocence as I know, at times, consciously or unconsciously, I tend to learn how to take a person for granted. Sometimes, it just gives you a happy feeling that your troubles will be lessen once your friend who always show his or her kindness will be there to help you. So, besides of feeling bad that she or he always needs to do favours for me, I enjoy asking for more favours to be done. It just came naturally to mind. By the time I found out that it’s too late, well, I just loose a friend who is so kind and dear to me once, and because of this, I have to suffer ignorance. From then on, I learnt my lesson, whenever a person does favours for you, always return the favour by helping that person out whether or not he or she ask you to. It is only fair to both parties.

Once someone dear to you is gone, do not even think of regret, it’s your fault that he or she is gone and there is nothing left you can do about it. So, if you think you are asking too much favours from a friend, make sure you show appreciation by thanking him or her in ways that shows your deepest gratitude.

No comments: