Sunday, November 28, 2004

The Chances Are... Slim Part 2

All you need was just a conversation with the guy you once came to love. He did not reject for a minute of decent conversation the other night, but you found out, it wasn’t enough to find out what he had been up to.

You wait by the phone as he promised to call you. Seconds passed, than minutes slipped right before your eyes. When it came to the last hour where you decided to fade into the fantasy world, your phone rang all of a sudden.

Your heart leaped, you managed to take a deep breath before placing your hand on the receiver and picking it up, uttered the word ‘hello’.

Is it you? I called to ask how are you doing and I guess you might be doing just fine.

It was not a greeting that you have expected. You thought to yourself, you were not doing fine after that dream the other night. You wanted so much to tell him what the dream was all about. After all, it involved him. The picture of the other night’s dream was not clear, but you managed to remember the things he told you.

But wait a second; the person on the other line wasn’t him. It was your best friend calling to ask how you were doing. Dumbstruck, you set aside your misery and let yourself sustain the conversation. Your eye lids were heavy, you wanted to end the conversation for the night but felt guilty.

I am tired sweetheart, can I call you tomorrow? You heard yourself say.

Judging by the tone of his voice, you knew he was mad at you. However, you couldn’t care much as you wanted so much to be in bed.

Good bye then, I’ll call you tomorrow, if you ever want to talk about what’s on your mind!

Smiling to yourself, you replaced the receiver properly, switched off the lights in the living room and went straight to bed. You glace at the computer screen to see whether he left you a message. A tear caught in your eye lids, you wiped it off with your index finger.

What am I waiting here… he’s never coming online. If he does... will he ever speak to me again after what had happened?

The night of dreams

You pushed the gate open… door after door. At last, you came to wonderful, breathtaking, extraordinary garden with fountains and red, yellow and pink roses. Where has all the birds gone?

In the centre of the garden stood a round table. On top of it was a purple envelope which contained an anonymously written letter. With trembling hands, you picked it up, tore open the envelope and unfold the letter. Every word was written in Italics. The handwriting was clear and it reminded you of the same handwriting of the one you loved.

To the one that shares her ups and downs with me,

At this moment in time, there is one thing I tried to express and it was not something I think she would like to hear, but were the things that I needed to say to let her know how I feel. In my deepest concern, I know she have feelings towards me which I could never accept. It would hurt her and indeed this I know. There is just one thing she needed to know is that she has been wonderfully my companion and my worrier for the past few years. Our friendship blossomed abruptly which made her misunderstood of my motives. She deserves someone wonderful and that loves her more than anyone in this world. I failed as a lover and I could never offer her the best happiness she can get and never wish to try.

I’m in doubt of ever finding a friend like her ever again. I am scared of the day that she will not give me that smile of hers that melted the hearts of thousands. I never wish to tell her this but I had once loved her but I have to stop as I know my heart is with another. Forgive me dear, do tell her that I am embarking on a journey to eternal friendship. I would wish to go beyond but I never will find the horizon where the sun always sets.

Love always,
Someone who’s concern of your safety

Who did he share his ups and downs with besides you? He told you about his life, the wonderful moments both of you had shared... but... who is that person he shows much affection towards? Could the one he is falling for be the one the letter is addressed to? In an instance, you know that it wasn't you.

This was not supposed to be read by you. You’ve unfold his secrets which were kept from you all this while. You tried your best to think what you should do next. Blank… darken by the worst thought you could ever think of…

RUN!


If the letter wasn’t for you to read, then who was it addressed to? Who was he sharing his thoughts with? You don’t want to know. All you wanted to do was to get out of the garden, back to the doors you went through. You want to step out of this nightmare and shut the door on your way out and never visit it ever again.

You found yourself in pain. Your stomach hurts. Your head started to spin. You don’t know why; you can never know why and never will. All you thought of was that letter now clutched in your right hand. Who was it for?




No comments: