Thursday, January 11, 2007

The New Year

A year has passed and I’m still reminiscing about the past each day. Everything is assumed to be different now. For me being 22 in the months to come, I should be shifting from my immature years to a decision making adult. Well, like everyone hope to be – young at heart – no matter how old I might be, I’m still being as young as heart as possible. Looking at life with an optimistic lance is what I want to do best.

So, I really couldn’t get myself to understand what’s the big fuss about New Year’s Eve. People drink; get drunk; count down; holler; and BOOM, the New Year arrives with nothing but another day which everyone has in common – air to breath, work to attend to, money to make, spouse to commit to, a family to raise and what not. Once a big deal is made when the clock strikes 12, with fireworks blasting from every corner of the city, flickers of light right across the sky… what matters most is what happens the next second after the fireworks are gone?

There I was, standing in the middle of Flinders Street Station with my head held high towards the sky. Looking at the sparkle of fireworks right before my eyes, reminiscing of what happened the year before I draw my attention towards the clock and realized it’s five past twelve. I smiled to myself and whispered Happy New Year. I did not know what to do next. I looked at my feet… ‘Time to get a new shoe; time to get a new life’. I wish for a new beginning right before my eyes’. So there I went, jumped on the 12:30am train back to Clayton. Along the way, I met a Sudanese guy by the name of Thomson. Just by chatting with him made me realized how lucky I am to be in a war-safe area. Without hesitating, I created what one call ‘friendship’ with him. A new friend made, what’s next?

Graduated with a degree in Bachelors of Communication doesn’t make me an eligible candidate for non-governmental organizations. Had been searching around and applying for various available jobs provided by NGOs, but no luck as I was turned down by 2 major organizations. What’s next?

Time does not allow its own to wait for the person chasing it. It’s either you are there or you are not allowed to get back towards the door you once stood in front of. Life’s cruel, but it is the way we learn to keep up with. We learn to keep up with time and the changes we made as well as the changes which unintentionally change us.

The New Year… what difference does it make? Wars are still fought… lives are still made… memories are left forgotten… guilt lingers among the doers. What are your resolutions that you’re so fond about? No resolutions could be made until civilization lays down its game plan.

1 comment:

Syaf said...

I hope you will find a job ASAP! Hmm, I'll be graduating in July and I have been flipping through the newspapers looking for jobs vacancies...Monash has been my comfort zone and I do not know how I will be able to cope working life. But for today and the days before I graduate, I just want to enjoy my uni life to the fullest!