Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Will I Survive?

I woke up pretty early this morning to the sound of my alarm clock. As I sat up in bed, I do not know what I would expect today. Of course, it will be good to expect something coming from every corner of our life, but sometimes, things should be better stayed unexpected.

As I look at the time, I only realized it was 5 am in the morning. Checking what the fuss was all about, I read the note I made to myself on the electronic reminder in my hand phone. Ah, expected reminder. Beginning of the week, I’ve, thousand times, reminded myself of my departure date to Australia. I still do not know what I should expect in a new, foreign country. I’m as nervous as any others who will be joining me in Australia.

I don’t want another repetition of my entry titled ‘Reminiscence is bliss’, I just want to calm down and think positive of what I’ll be expecting in a foreign country. Of course, there are many things on my mind which I wish to do. First of all, I would really want to tackle my biggest fear in life – heights! Looking down from a 50 story building will not do, but I guess bunji jumping will help. I know it may sound a little frantic coming from someone who’s afraid of heights, but I do not know of other ways to tackle this fear.

I want to go to Adelaide… ALONE! I always want to try traveling long distance alone, without anyone by my side. It was hard to find a chance to travel around back here as parents and relatives are my restrictions. However, I would just keep my mouth shut and not tell anyone when I’m in Australia. I want to see the world alone, meet unexpected acquaintances, talk to people from different races, and taste special Australian cuisine which could be rarely tasted in Malaysia.

I’ve decided to work and study at the same time when I’m there in Australia. I thought of actually interning with Red Cross. After two months of interning with UNHCR, I finally found out that my interest was always on humanitarian issues. After observing my supervisor attending to her work as a PR person, I realized that I have so much to learn and experience. I just don’t want to give up my chances of working in Australia as well as my chances of traveling around alone.

I really hope and pray I can work through the year alone, without my closest friends to support me all the way; without my boyfriend to give me comfort; without my parents to provide me with daily necessities, and most of all, without restrictions on where to go and where not to. I’m on my own in a foreign land… could I survive, I shall see…

No comments: